Dental examinations and cleaning can help you to avoid tooth decay and gum disease. Dental examinations are equally important for adults and children. Untreated cavities and gum problems can lead to tooth loss.
At your regular dental examination we will:
- Carefully examine your teeth, gums and surrounding structures;
- Check the condition of any existing restorations such as crowns or fillings;
- Check your mouth for abnormalities and signs of oral cancer;
- Assess the health of your gums;
- Check your teeth for decay or signs of acid erosion and wear;
- Review your bite and evaluate your jaw joints for problems;
- Take any necessary x-rays if we suspect a problem;
- Give your teeth a professional clean, if required.
Unfortunately some people only visit the dentist when they have an obvious dental problem or pain. It should be considered that tooth loss could be avoided if problems are detected at an early stage, before pain arises. Problems found early are often easier to treat.